Monday, April 11, 2016

MGA Spring Handicap Tournament

Yesterday was the MGA Spring Handicap Tournament.  The MGA holds four of these each year in the Boylston Chess Club, which has space in North Cambridge. 


I volunteered to be Assistant Tournament Director for this one because I will be Assistant Tournament Director for the U.S. Open at this year's U.S. Go Congress (in Boston!!).  I think I directed a couple of MGA tournaments many years ago, but it's been a long time, so I figured I should start getting some practice.

The actual Tournament Director was James Peters, who has a very laid back approach to directing tournaments.  I rather enjoyed the fact that he didn't take it too seriously.  It certainly makes some things a lot easier.  I don't think we'll get to be so cavalier for the U.S. Open though.  Here's James getting a game in in round 3:



Even though I was working, I got to play two games.  Andrew strong-armed me into playing at 2 dan.  He played at 3 dan.  We have a lot of rank inflation happening in our area.  It will be interesting to see how everyone stacks up at the U.S. Open.  I don't want to cheat the system, but I also don't want to put my fellow players, who are accustomed to playing even games with me, at a severe disadvantage.  (I won against Andrew playing an even game in the Spring Open just a few weeks ago, but if I entered at 1k, he'd be giving me 3 stones, which isn't right at all.)

Anyway, I played 2 games at 2 dan and won both of them.  The first game (in round 1) was with Ed Gillis:


and the other (in round 4) was with Audrey Wang:


(I didn't record my games because I was working, but one of my jobs was to take a few photos.)

Since Audrey was playing at 3 dan, I took black with no komi.  I ended up winning by 7 points on the board, so if she did have komi, she would have won by .5 point.  Since our City League game (see earlier post) was also a .5 point game, we decided we're clearly within .5 point of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment