Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Last day of Osaka Go Camp!

I can't believe the camp is over.  It's gone by so quickly.  I'm exhausted, but I also want it to continue forever.

On our last day I played my last league game against Liu Jiahe, one of the Chinese kids who arrived last week.


He tried the AlphaGo early san-san invasion of my 4-4 stone.  He also had a really weird answer to my normal approach to his corner.  Maybe it's some kind of trick move, but Maeda-sensei did not think it was good.  He did a really nice job of attacking one of my groups, but resigned after I took some stones to eat into his territory.  I think he could have kept playing, but I think he was also bored.  The kids tend to not have much patience playing with us because we're so slow.  Anyway, here's the game with a few comments from Maeda-sensei.


(;GM[1]FF[4]CA[UTF-8]AP[CGoban:3]ST[2] RU[Japanese]SZ[19]KM[0.50] PW[Liu Jiahe]PB[Becci]LB[id:3][kd:4][gq:5][oq:2][lr:1]C[Black+res. Reviewed by Maeda-sensei] ;B[pd] ;W[dp] ;B[pq] ;W[dc] ;B[fq] ;W[qc] ;B[qd] ;W[pc] ;B[nc] ;W[oc] ;B[nd] ;W[od] ;B[oe] ;W[rd] ;B[re] ;W[rc] ;B[qf] ;W[fr]C[Maeda-sensei said, "huh?" I didn't know what to do, but he confirmed that my first thought (E3) would have been fine, though my follow-up might not have been perfect.] (;B[ob] ;W[pb] ;B[nb] ;W[ra]C[Maeda-sensei said this exchange to make Black stronger was fine.] ;B[ce]C[He also said playing tenuki (instead of addressing the lower left) was fine.] ;W[ed] ;B[cq]C[This does not work so well for Black.] ;W[cp] ;B[dq] ;W[eq] ;B[er] ;W[ep] ;B[gr] ;W[dr] ;B[fs] ;W[cr]C[Better for White.] ;B[ci] ;W[ic] ;B[kc]C[Painful, but Black still has that pesky cut to worry about.] ;W[df]LB[ic:A][kc:B][cg:C]C[This is bad for White. If White had a larger extension (say White at A instead of B) then White can play this way to protect against a Black invasion. Now White is just removing the possibility of invading at C later.] ;B[cf] ;W[dg] ;B[cg] ;W[qn] ;B[qp] ;W[pj] ;B[qh] ;W[on] ;B[mp] ;W[kq] ;B[lq] ;W[kp] (;B[lr]C[This is a big mistake for Black. Too slow.] ;W[op] (;B[oq]C[This is also bad.] ;W[np] ;B[nq] ;W[mo] ;B[ip] ;W[lp] ;B[mq] (;W[jo] (;B[id]C[This is not a good idea for Black unless Black can definitely get sente (and that seems unlikely).] (;W[jc] ;B[jd] ;W[kb]C[This is overplay by White.] ;B[hc] ;W[hd] ;B[hb] ;W[jb] ;B[lc] ;W[gc] ;B[gd] ;W[he] ;B[fc] ;W[lb] (;B[kd] ;W[ge] ;B[gb] ;W[eb] ;B[fb] ;W[fd]C[Hard for White now.] ;B[ib]C[Black can (and should) take sente.] ;W[ia] ;B[mb] ;W[fa] ;B[la] ;W[hq] (;B[gq]C[Too passive.] ;W[hr] ;B[hp] ;W[jr] ;B[go] ;W[fp] ;B[gp] ;W[fn]C[Now White gets a nice attack.] ;B[gn] ;W[fm] ;B[hl] ;W[in] ;B[hn] ;W[io]C[It's a little silly for White to think he can kill this group...] ;B[gl] ;W[ck] ;B[jk] ;W[ik] ;B[il] ;W[kk] ;B[jj] ;W[kl] ;B[ni] ;W[oi] ;B[oh] ;W[nj] ;B[mi] ;W[mj] ;B[li] ;W[if] ;B[dl]C[Good. (Maeda expected this earlier.)] ;W[cl] ;B[bc]C[Biggest. We stopped reviewing around here. ] ;W[kf] ;B[ro] ;W[ph] ;B[pg] ;W[pi] ;B[ng] ;W[bj] ;B[rm] ;W[rn] ;B[sn] ;W[qm] ;B[rl] ;W[ag] ;B[bg] ;W[ah] ;B[af] ;W[ai] ;B[cb] ;W[dh] ;B[fl] ;W[dm] ;B[pk] ;W[qk] ;B[ql] ;W[pl] ;B[pm] ;W[ol] ;B[pn] ;W[om] ;B[qo]) (;B[iq]C[Black should play this way.])) (;B[if]C[Better way to protect the cut.])) (;W[hc]C[White should just play back to try to get sente.])) (;B[cl]C[Since there are no weak groups, Black should take territory.])) (;W[ln]C[White should just protect here.])) (;B[po]C[Black should at least ask first.] ;W[oo] ;B[oq]LB[pn:A]C[If White plays this way, later Black A might be sente.])) (;B[mn]C[Black should just jump out to keep White separated.] ;W[nq] ;B[lr]C[Black is already alive in the corner, so this is not a good idea for White.])) (;B[eq] ;W[dq] ;B[er] ;W[dr] ;B[cn]C[Maeda-sensei suggested this if White descends.]))

My overall league record was 5-3.  I had that 3 game losing streak in the middle but rallied at the end.  We'll see whether Go camp has gotten me in shape for the Japan Go Congress or just worn me out.

After lunch, Maeda-sensei reviewed our homework as usual. With these harder problems, I've been really inconsistent. Yesterday, I got 5 wrong (out of 12). Today I got only 1 wrong, and it was a close call (an endgame problem).

Then we had our "memorial game".  On the last day of camp, the camp champion gets to play a pro.  Our camp champion was technically Mike (since he won the most games):


But they had Gabby (our 6d) play the pro.  She got to play Yokota-sensei (9p).  She chose to play with a 2-stone handicap.  They also gave her a time handicap -- she had 1 hour to his 15 minutes, though they both only got one 30-second byo yomi period.


It was really fun to watch Yokota-sensei play.  He has such style.



While they played, Li-sensei and Francis provided commentary and occasionally quizzed us on which move we thought would be played next.  Joel came up with a really nice move for Black that Gabby then played, much to our delight.




Gabby won the game!!  I'm *so* impressed.  We were all cheering for her, but I don't think anyone thought she would actually win.  She's the first camp player to win a memorial game.  (This is the 5th year they've run the camp.)  Here I am with our big winner:


I also got a photo with Maeda-sensei and Li-sensei, who have been working tirelessly for weeks, and now have to turn around and run congress.


I've loved getting to know Lulu (the mother of Winnie and William).  She's so much fun.  She told me earlier that she's considering leaving her current job to become an English teacher.  When she found out the other day that she might have a job, she told me I was her good luck charm.  So I told her that's great -- she can throw money at me and pray.  :)



Fortunately, they're staying for the congress too, so we don't have to say goodbye quite yet.

There was a farewell party at the TTS center in the evening,


followed by the ultimate Japanese experience: karaoke.



With a bunch of Go players out at karaoke, it's inevitable that someone will choose a song from Hikaru no Go.



Maeda-sensei joined us later and sang "Yesterday" by The Beatles.  He said when he was in elementary school in music class they always learned Beatles songs, so that's what he knows in English.



I really don't want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment